Posted by stvchang in console, console games, games, gaming news, news, patch, PS3, PS3 games, Sony, tech news, tech stuff.
We’ll provide further information as necessary here on the Blog.”
However, there are also numerous PS3s that have been update with no problem whatsoever. For those of us that have not update the firmware yet, we can only wait for SONY to fix this snafu and hopefully get their act together and not release buggy firmware.
For me, there is no hurry as most of the new features (custom music soundtrack, Trophies) only work in ONE game so far. With the already released games not supporting it yet, and only games coming after fall supports it, there is no hurry to update the firmware.
Posted by stvchang in console, console games, games, gaming news, Microsoft, patch, PS3, PS3 games, Sony, tech news, Xbox360, Xbox360 games.
Last week, GTA4 was patched to version 1.02. The patch is mainly to improve the online multiplayer experience by fixing the following:-
- Fixed an issue where players were unable to enter or exit vehicles in GTA Race.
- Fixed an issue where scripted vehicles were causing games to unexpectedly crash.
- Improved reliability and frequency of PS3 online leaderboard updates.
- Fixed a rare hang some players encountered when moving from a Race or GTA Race lobby into gameplay.
- Fixed a hang that would occur when players were switching teams during the countdown in the lobby.
- Fixed an issue where players were able to get ridiculously high scores from Cops ‘n Crooks matches.
- Changed GTA Race and Race so that the last player remaining always receives a reward of $250.
- Fixed an issue where spectating players would prevent the game from finishing.
- Fixed an issue where players were unable to spectate in Round 2 of Cops ‘n Crooks games.
- Changed countdown timer in lobby so that it no longer resets when new players join a game.
- Changed the kick option so that kicked players are no longer brought back to single player.
The patch retrieval is done automatically when you launch the game and is connected to the internet, and the patch is small download at 19MBs only (if you are using broadband).
Now let me get back to MSG4….
Posted by stvchang in console, console games, games, gaming news, patch, PS2 games, PS3, PS3 games, tech news, tech stuff.
Tags: Add new tag
PS3 will get the much awaited Firmware 2.40 tomorrow. This latest update is different Firmware 2.36 (released last week) which improves “system stability when playing select PlayStation format software titles,” but not mentioning which games.
With Firmware 2.40, SONY finally adds in-game XMB, custom soundtrack options and their own version of Xbox’s Achievement system, known as Trophies.
The in-game XMB is a full scaled XMB, with new options to quit game, go online, access Playstation Store, change headset settings and even checking on which of your friends are online, all done without ever leaving the game. Note that the XMB will only work for PS3 games, so accessing the XMB by pressing the PS button on the controller while in a PSOne or PS2 game wont work.
Custom music option for games are also added to the XMB to play your own music, and SONY have added a control panel within the Music category with buttons to play, pause, skip and even to control the volume if its affects the game’s audio effects. This feature needs to be added to the game, so it wont work on existing releases but it could be easily patched if the developer chooses to.
The biggest addition to Firmware 2.40 and to the PS3 itself is the Trophies system. Similar to Xbox360‘s Achievement system, PS3‘s Trophy system goes a few step further. Instead of points, different type of Bronze, Silver and Gold Trophies will be awarded for completing different tasks. Each game will also have one single Platinum Trophy is available for completing all Trophies in the game. You can then compare your Trophy collection with your friends, and the collection will also be added to you profile for all to see.
To make things more enticing, Sony have added a Level system to the Trophies. Gaining Trophies will level up your profile in PSN, giving gamers more incentive to collect as many Trophies they can find. This will definitely improve PS3‘s online community draw, as there are much more reason to getting Trophies as opposed to simply having Points to show.
All this and more will be available to PS3 users come tomorrow, so be ready to fully embrace SONY‘s new online community direction.